How Much Sleep Do I NEED?
The most common answer to this question is 8 hours, right? It’s the easiest answer for sure, but the truth is, it’s not that simple.
Unfortunately, this number doesn’t apply to everyone. It all depends on various factors such as your general health, how active you are during the day, your age, and even your genes.
A few studies have answered the ultimate question: How much sleep do I need? Read on to learn what the magic number is. And be sure to stay with me to the end to gain insight into some healthy sleep habits that can significantly improve your overall well-being.
Let’s embrace your individuality when it comes to sleep, my friend!
How many hours of sleep do you need?
When life gets busy, sleep is often the first to fall behind in our schedules. Regrettably, good sleep is just as essential as maintaining a balanced diet and managing a regular exercise routine.
A summary of the new sleep recommendations per day includes:
- Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours
- Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): 11-14 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5): 10-13 hours
- School-age children (6-13): 9-11 hours
- Teenagers (14-17): 8-10 hours
- Younger adults (18-25): 7-9 hours
- Adults (26-64): 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+): 7-8 hours
Although I’ve discovered that research cannot source an exact amount of sleep needed for each age group, a new chart features a minimum and maximum range for optimal health. It includes recommended brackets and identifies the criterion that experts agree upon.
These results can assist you in determining how many hours you need between the sheets to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But keep in mind, it’s crucial to pay attention to your own individual needs and circumstances as well.
For example, I did my own little experiment by evaluating how I felt on different amounts of sleep while on holiday. On average I discovered I need around 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep to function at my best throughout the day. If I get less than this, my brain slows down in the afternoon, which not only significantly affects my productivity and ability to focus, but also my mood and, in the long term, my immune system.
Do you want to boost your efficiency?
Here are 10 productivity hacks that can help you.
I know what you’re thinking: How can you get a solid night’s rest to avoid sluggishness during the day? I’m here to tell you there are ways. All you have to do is try, and be amazed by the results. You literally don’t have anything to lose. Okay, you might lose your insanity and sleep like a log.
Healthy sleep habits for optimal sleep
- Opt-in for a short (20-30 minute) power nap during the day.
- Let in those early morning sun rays to regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
- Include an exercise routine early in the day.
- Opt-in for a lighter meal in the evening.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine for yourself.
- Meditate your way to dreamland.
- Get a pair of Swannies blue light blocking glasses – Discover how Swannies have improved the lives of hundreds of people.
That’s it, folks! Now you know the answer to your pressing question: How much sleep do I need? I encourage you to do your own analysis, based on the above research results and your circumstances and finally get YOUR own magic number. Feel free to share your results with me, I’d love to read all about your sleep experiments!
Do you have trouble sleeping through the entire night?
Block out all the light with our luxurious 100% Silk Sleep EyeMask.